What’s so special About Moffett Forklifts?
Any operations manager, forklift operator or fleet manager who has been in the material handling industry for even a few years will know about the Moffett brand. Moffett forklifts are manufactured by Hiab which is the world’s leading provider of on-road handling equipment. Hiab (on land), along with Kalmer (at ports) and MacGregor (at sea) constitutes the world’s leading provider of cargo and load handling solutions, Cargotec.
The Moffett brand itself is present in more than 45 countries including goliaths such as India, Australia, UK, and New Zealand. In fact, there are 55,000 Moffett forklifts in the United States alone, which is a testimony to the quality, reliability, and performance of the machines. Hundreds of businesses in the United States itself make use of Moffett forklifts in a number of ways.
Due to the immense demand of these forklifts, Moffett has introduced a wide range of models that can cater to any industry and transport any material. However, the question remains, why is Moffett equipment in such high demand and what is it that makes Moffett forklifts the big shark in the material handling industry?
This article discusses how Moffett has achieved its position in the industry and why, to this day, it remains the leader in providing material handling solutions.
How Moffett Achieved Excellence?
When it comes to forklifts, there are a number of factors that every manufacturer needs to consider in order to meet the objectives of businesses. These factors include:
- Safety of the operator and the crew
- The versatility of the forklift
- Operating environments
- Nature of materials handled
- Operating dimensions of forklift
- The economic life of a forklift
- Industrial requirements
- OSHA regulations
Moffett has been able to hit the nail on the head in terms of achieving operational excellence through the optimized performance of the forklift. They have penetrated every industry by understanding and meeting the needs of businesses that operate within them. Let us look at some of the distinguishing features of the Moffett forklifts.
- Truck Mounting Capabilities
Perhaps the most important and valuable feature of the Moffett forklifts is their ability to mount and dismount from the back of trucks that are used to carry the material from one site to another. This provides the following benefits:
- It saves tremendous transportation costs that would have been otherwise incurred by the business in transporting the forklift from one site to another (which is the case with conventional counterbalance forklifts). The business is then free to invest in further opportunities that would propagate its success.
- It saves valuable time since the operator does not have to wait for the forklift to arrive. This is because the material and the forklift both arrive together so the operator can get to work immediately and save time to fulfill orders.
- Enhanced Safety Features
The forklift industry is more dangerous than some might assume. The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) estimated that there are over 100,000 forklift-related injuries every year in the United States alone. As such, safety is a top priority for fleet managers as well as forklift operators and manufacturers strive to provide the best levels of protection and safety in forklifts. This is where Moffett takes precedence over its competitors, since even used Moffett forklifts provide better protection than some new ones (granted they are bought from reliable dealers such as Moffett Truck who can guarantee the safety of used equipment). Among the safety features that make Moffett forklifts desirable are:
- Interlocking seat belt for the driver
- Overhead guard, test by ROPS (Rollover Protective Structure) and FOPS (Falling Object Protective Structure)
- Maximum visibility all around the forklift (360 degrees)
- Flashing beacon, work lights and reverse bleeper
- LED road light for transport on truck or trailer
- The breadth of Operation
Moffett forklifts have a wide array of products that make them desirable for multiple industries. From the Moffett M5, which can be used for industrial distribution as well as transportation over rough terrain to the Moffett M9 that is used extensively in the poultry industry, Moffett has tapped every market through the design of forklifts that suit those industries individual needs.
Take urban distribution, for example, the Moffett M2 is the ideal forklift for operations in this field since it can operate efficiently in restricted and tight spaces. The maneuverability of Moffett forklifts is what makes them the leader in industrial distribution, whereas the toughness and stability of Moffett M9 and M10 over rough terrains is unbeatable by their competitors.
These were just some of the reasons that make Moffett piggyback forklifts the best material handling equipment in the industry and why, even after 70 years of operations, they remain unbeaten in providing efficiency and performance to businesses.