There are several email clients available to users depending upon the operating systems they work with. The OLM file is the file generated by Mac Outlook which is a Microsoft product. Whereas, the Mozilla Thunderbird does not recognize an OLM file but instead uses an MBOX file. Hence, it is mandatory to convert OLM to Thunderbird recognized file which is the MBOX format.
Several users have chosen Thunderbird over Outlook for Mac mainly because of its free service. Also, Thunderbird can be used with Linux, Windows, Mac OS making it much more versatile than its counterpart. Another attractive feature of Mozilla Thunderbird is its ability to connect with many social media websites making it easy to track the data.
But this transition is not as easy as it may seem. Both of these email applications use different formats i.e. OLM and MBOX. You cannot import an OLM file into the latter and have to convert it into MBOX first. But do not worry, in this article, we are going to explain every possible method for you to move your data across these platforms. Let us first cover the traditional method to achieve any target.
Manual Way to Convert OLM to Thunderbird
The manual method is quite simple and works fine if you have only a few files or mailboxes to migrate. In case you are planning to move all of your data, this method can fail miserably and you might have to look for the automatic method instead. Other few disadvantages of this method are its inability to deal with orphan OLM files and the need to export every mailbox individually.
The process to convert OLM to Thunderbird are quite simple as given below:
- Launch Mac Outlook on your device and choose the mailboxes you wish to export.
- Then, drag and drop the mailboxes out of the application and into a local folder on your computer.
- Repeat this process for all mailboxes and they will automatically get saved in MBOX format.
- Now, you have to import it to Thunderbird. The steps in both Windows and Mac Thunderbird are somewhat similar depending upon the version you work on.
- You simply have to launch your application and go to the Tools option where you will find the Import option.
- Click on that and import the .mbox file into it.
Automatically Convert OLM to Thunderbird
The above-mentioned method is quite complicated having a long list of limitations. To overcome them all, you must follow the direct method. It helps you convert OLM file on Mac. It comes with many benefits as listed below:
- Export multiple OLM emails to Thunderbird at once.
- Supports OLM files created by Outlook 2011, 2016, 2019.
- Option to export only a few selective emails from a folder.
- Option to apply date filter and other advanced settings.
- Works on all latest Mac OS versions smoothly.
- Creates separate MBOX files for each OLM folder.
- Retains the folder hierarchy same as the source file.
- Converts OLM to Thunderbird along with attachments.
- Preserves the metadata of the emails.
Note: If you are working on Windows PC, then you can opt for PCVITA OLM to PST converter tool for this purpose.
Working of the Tool
The work is quite simple. You just have to download the utility, add OLM file(s) or folder to it. Choose MBOX as your export option, apply advanced settings. Then, you need to browse the destination to save this file in your system and click on Export to begin the process to Convert OLM to Thunderbird.
The best part about this software is the freedom to choose if you wish to export all of the items within a file or only a few selective ones. So, you can choose the option “Export Selected” to fulfill the task.
Time to Conclude
In this article, we have explained a few ways to convert OLM to Thunderbird on Mac. Users can choose any of the described methods that suit their needs the best. In case you are looking for a professional solution, then you must opt for the software that we recommend here since it is specifically built for such purposes and provides the option to convert the OLM files in multiple formats.